Implementation of 50% tariffs following the failure of US-Canada trade talks
According to reports, US-Canada trade negotiations ended on the evening of Friday, August 21 (30 Mordad) without result, and as a result, the United States implemented 50% tariffs on a range of imported goods from Canada starting at midnight.
These tariffs cover about $20 billion of US imports from Canada and include goods such as hockey sticks, some building materials, alcoholic beverages, and certain types of clothing.
Meanwhile, Mark Carney, Prime Minister of Canada, said that despite progress in the talks, this progress was not enough to meet Canada’s objectives.
He said he has suspended talks with the United States and instructed Canada’s negotiating team to return to Ottawa.
Carney also announced immediate retaliatory action and said: “Canada will respond to these tariffs, dollar for dollar, to protect its workers and companies.”
Jimison Greer, the US trade representative, replied that Canada refused to finalize an agreement that, according to him, had been reached earlier.



Comments
Top comments